Some more tips to help you start the school year with a little less stress and a little more of your sanity intact.
- Set your child’s sleep schedule back to “School Time” two weeks before the first day.
- Resume rules about screen time for the school year. What’s allowed and when? This includes TV and tablets.
- Establish “Family Time,” whether it’s during dinner or before bed.
- Use a timer to get your children used to focusing for specific periods of time.
- Teach your children to prioritise their assignments by making to-do lists with deadlines.
- Set a regular alarm each day that signals the start of homework time.
- Give your children a short break after each assignment they finish.
- Discuss what your children can expect on the first day so they feel more prepared.
- Arrange an outing with two or three of their friends to rebuild existing social ties.
- Inventory last year’s school supplies before going out to buy more.
- Include your children in back-to-school shopping by letting them pick out their items.
- Create a dedicated space to store school supplies.
- Establish a specific space as the official “homework area.”
- Remove distractions like TVs and tablets from homework areas.
- Re-label butter tubs to organise school supplies – pens, markers, post its.
- Set and enforce regular weekday and weekend bedtimes.
- Have your children set realistic goals for the new year, such as reading 10 books that are not school books.
- Touch base with teachers early on to troubleshoot any issues your children may be having.
- Establish blocks of fun time for your children, whether it’s through sports or having friends visit.
- Encourage your children to lay out their school clothes the night before.
- Have your children pack their school bags before they go to sleep at night.
- Create an inbox for children to leave things that need your attention, like permission slips.
- Keep a small emergency allowance in their bags, just in case.
- Set your clocks forward 10 minutes. This makes it easier to be on time.
- Create a reward system for when they meet goals like helping around the house, for example extra TV time.
- Set an alarm or notification 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Remove all electronic items bedrooms to focus them on sleeping.
- Map out a bathroom schedule to avoid family fights for bathroom time.
- Schedule study blocks on the weekends and before tests.
- Plan to do something fun in the middle of the school term, just to take a breath!
With all this preparation, your children will be in great shape, you will be relaxed and calm, they’ll head off to school feeling excited and ready to get to work.
Be sure to join our Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok and our Website for more valuable information. Ask about our Business Startup Kit, Retainer Package, Year End Retainer Package , Business Bank Account or learn how manage your finance with our Prerecorded and Live Courses. Book a FREE 15 mins CONSULTATION on Fridays from 1pm to 3 pm.
“A wealthy person is simply someone who has learned how to make money when they’re not working.” – Robert Kiyosaki